twitter instagram bloglovin google plus pinterest

Wednesday 23 September 2015

My first experience of bonded hair extensions!



“Life is too short to have boring hair” 

I know I’m not the only one who dreams of long, thick, mermaid hair! My hair has been something of a chore of mine for the past couple of years. I hated it. It was a medium length with little to no volume and was extremely thin and damaged at the ends. It had been the same length, colour and style for years and I was getting increasingly bored. 

I’ve always envied girls who are lucky enough to be blessed with beautiful, Rapunzel-like hair. But no matter how much I tried to grow it, it just wasn’t happening! That’s when I decided to finally bite the bullet and go for bonded hair extensions. I feel like a lot of people turn their nose up at the thought of getting bonded hair extensions, and that’s purely because they don’t have the correct information on them. 

I have only had them in for a week, but they’ve inspired me to write a blog post discussing my experience and to answer any questions that you may have if you’re thinking of getting bonded hair extensions yourself.   



With my thin, medium length hair, I wanted to add a good few inches, but I’m not the type of girl to go all-out and get 20 inches (that’s great if you are!) but it just isn’t me. So I decided 16 inches was a good choice for me, I didn’t want a drastic difference.  I also really wanted to change up the colour too. I’m perfectly content with being a brunette, but I loved the look of balayage, and it’s really on trend right now, so I decided life is too short to have boring hair and just go for it. I’m over the moon with my new hair, and it was definitely worth every penny in my eyes. But all this extra hair is a lot of hard work and is very high maintenance (as you can imagine)! So here are the answers to some questions that might be playing on your mind: 

Will the hair extensions damage my own hair? – This was a big worry that played on my mind a lot, since I can’t really afford to damage my already rather weak hair. It’s simply just a case of looking after them correctly. You can’t have the mentality that once they’re in they’re in, and all the work is done for you. Unfortunately that’s not the way it is, you have to make sure you’re being gentle with them, using the right products for your hair and (to my horror) using less heat on them. 

How are the extensions fitted? – My salon used a device that warms the bond and attached them to a strand of my own hair. This sounds damaging and painful but it isn’t at all. If you want more information of the methods use to fit extensions, contact the salon that you are thinking of getting them done at. 

How often can I wash them? – My salon recommended that I wash the extensions no more than once a week. However if you’re hair is like mine, you’ve got extremely oily roots (eww!) and I know that I need to wash my hair more than that. Personally I think it’s okay to wash them about 2-3 times a week, and if you need to wash anymore than that I would suggest to wash just the roots and try not to get the ends wet. The reason for this is because the extensions will dry out if you treat them too often. 

How long does the fitting take? – The fitting of bonded hair extensions shouldn’t take any longer than 2 hours, depending on the thickness and length, and how many bonds are going to be fitted. For me this took a little longer because I was going to have balayage done my roots touched up.  

What products should I use? – It’s recommended that you only use products specifically designed for hair extensions. If you go to a reputable salon, they should provide you with the option to purchase some hair extension shampoo and conditioner. As for combing your hair, my salon recommended that I only use a tangle teezer when styling and brushing my hair, this way my hair is kept in the best condition possible. 


Where did I get my hair extensions done? – I decided to get my hair extensions from Vivid Hair Salon in Northampton. They are an extremely reputable salon with years of experience with bonded hair extensions. Please do research into whichever salon to choose to get your extensions done, and please have a consultation to discuss the fitting before making an appointment.  

I’m going to write a follow-up post in a few months, which will give you more information on the hair extensions and how I’m getting on with them. I hope this post was helpful to you if you’re thinking of getting hair extensions, if you have any more questions please don’t hesitate to ask in the comments below and I’ll get back to you as quick as possible. 

Thanks for reading! 

Alice D x 

No comments:

Post a Comment

blogger template